Challenge Teams Program
Competitive Play with AYSO Philosophy
AYSO offers an alternative to Duke City for accomplished players who want to increase their skills through play with and against more intense competition. The Challenge Teams Program includes teams from U10 through U19 who play in the Duke City Metro Schedule against "club teams" as part of AYSO's own Challenge Football Club.
AYSO players are selected for the teams through tryouts. They practice twice a week like other AYSO teams, but they play against teams in the Duke City Metro League (teams from the Duke City Soccer League, Northwest Rio Grande, and other Club Teams). Challenge teams also play in tournaments in town, throughout New Mexico, and out of state.
Check out the Challenge FC website to find out if Challenge is right for you.
Call For Challenge Coaches
Applications for the 2011-2012 Due by March 5
Each spring, the Challenge Program puts out a "Call for Coaches". This is the opportunity for new and returning Challenge Team Coaches to declare their intention to coach a Challenge Team. The Challenge Teams Program considers those applications and selects the most qualified candidate(s) in each age group.
If you are interested in coaching in this exciting program, send a letter of self-nomination to the Challenge FC Director of Coaching.
Your letter must contain the following information:
- About you:
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Why do you want to be a Challenge Coach?
- What's your coaching background? At minimum, this should include the following:
- Are you currently a Challenge Coach? Regular Season? ACT?
- How many years have you coached in AYSO and in what capacity?
- What ages and genders have you coached?
- What age group and gender are you hoping to coach?
- Are you affiliated with other athletic organizations? Have you been in the past? (i.e. baseball, basketball, football, NMAA, other soccer organizations)
- What are your goals for your Challenge Team?
- Immediate? (First month)
- Short term? (First year)
- Long term? (2nd year and beyond)
- What will you give back to the core program?
- Are you currently an Advanced Certified Coach? If not, will you commit to attending an Advanced Coaching Class this summer?
We also require 2 letters of recommendation from parents whose children you have coached. (Recommendation letters can not be from a current AYSO Regional Board Member)
All of these items must be received not later than March 5th, 2011.
If you have questions, let the Challenge FC Director of Coaching know.